Response tactics for outdoor leaks differ from those for indoor leaks, as gas leaks from outdoor sources may involve higher-pressure pipelines.
Be alert for the distinctive, sulfur-like or rotten-egg odor of mercaptan as well as any of the following gas leak warning signs:
- Continuous bubbling in water
- A hissing, whistling or roaring sound
- Dead or dying vegetation (in an otherwise moist area) over or near a gas pipeline
- Dirt blowing into the air
- A damaged connection to a gas appliance
- An exposed pipeline after an earthquake, fire, flood or other disaster